A top official of U.S. oil giant, ExxonMobil, has confirmed the death of a staff member of the company in a fire incident at the ExxonMobil Qua Iboe Terminal (QIT) in Akwa Ibom.
The incident occurred on December 13, the official, Mr Ozemoya Okordion, confirmed in an e-mailed statement to Platforms Africa.
The ExxonMobil facility is located in Mkpanak community in the Ibeno Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom.
Okordion, who is the Government Relations Advisor, Public and Government Affairs of the company, said that two employees were injured in the incident and that one of the employees later died.
Okordion expressed sadness over the incident, assuring that the management of ExxonMobil would provide support to the family of the dead worker.
“The safety of our workforce and community remain our priority at all times,” he said, noting that investigation into the incident had since commenced while “all appropriate authorities have been notified.”
The dead worker was described by News Agenxy of Nigeria (NAN) as a supervisor working in the processing area of the QIT facility.
The QIT processing area has since been cordoned off.
Here is the Full statement
MPN Response Statement
· Mobil Producing Nigeria, operator of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation NNPC/MPN Joint Venture, confirms the occurrence of a fire incident at the Qua Iboe Terminal on December 13, 2020.
· Two employees were injured and both of them received immediate medical attention. One of the employees has passed away.
· We are saddened by this unfortunate incident and providing support to the family.
· The safety of our workforce and community remains our priority at all times.
· An investigation into the incident is ongoing and all appropriate authorities have been notified.
Ozemoya (Oze) Okordion
Government Relations Advisor
Public & Government Affairs